Thursday, February 18, 2010

Concentration Stuff



So. as of now my concentration is: The deformations of people. It wasn't so much when i made these. but i still think they turned out cool. The first one is an owl. I started by drawin it with pencil then cutting it out of cardboard. I used fat paint markers to draw the owl on the carboard. Then i filled it in with paint and colored pencil and stuff. I am pleased with this one turned out. It started out as a fun experiment, now its something i actually like. I like how it turned out different than most of the other stuff i do, since they are usually of people. I enjoy the layers and the different colors. It also has a patriotic theme to it. On the upper left part of it it says "america" i dont'r eally know why. But its all painted red white and blue mostly. I thought itwas funny. I guess you can't really tell. it mostly looks white. whatever. Even though its a cut out, i feel it still has compostion and stuff inside it. I thoughtfully placed everything i did in it and i think it payed off.
Now the second one was a stencil i made. I did the drawing in my psychology class. I though it was a funny little doodle and wanted to make it way bigger, and a stencil. I got a big peice of paper. and drew it on it. then cut it out like a stencil. I wanted to make the mouth really dark, to make some contrast. So the whole thing wouldn't be a bunch of skinny outlines. I think the stencil turned out real nice, but it doesn't look as good on a canvas. It would look much better on a wall. I added a fade in the colors. It slighly fades from pink to purple. I thought that turned out nice and made the whole thing a little mor interesting. I also was very pleased with how much it ended up looking like a print, i really like that. Recently i have had a fasination with prints. I really like how they look. Overall i think this turned out alright, but it would look better with a more interesting paint job and on a wall somwhere

5 comments:

Karen said...

Jordan!

I like the first piece a lot because it is very different from what you usually do, but it is still in your style. Even though you said that it has patriotic undertones or whatnot, when I first saw it, i found it to have a very native american feel, like totem poles and stuff. It's well balanced and the layering is really apparent and effective in giving it depth. the only thing a little off about it is that if your concentration is about deformations of people and the piece is an owl...maybe you should shift your concentration to pieces all look like that. :]

Ashley said...

If I had that owl on my wall I would be pretty pleased. Really really pleased. Unless I’m supposed to put it somewhere else…

Anyway you’re owl is pretty cool! I don’t really know how that’s suppose to relate to your concentration, seeing as well… is that the side of a person’s face on the wing? Anyway, I’m not sure how it relates to the deformation of a person’s face unless I’m playing ispy and finding faces on the body. It has quite the nice texture, due to it being made on cardboard. Then there’s unity due to the expressive lines used. Then the sections of the owl make for a great form, as a whole. Love the piece. Don’t do anything to it.

When it comes to the face, however, I feel it needs more. I don’t know if it’s legit to say that your style is very graffiti-esque? (Is that even the correct usage of terms put in a sentence?) Long story short I feel you second piece needs more added to it. Grafiti has a lot of words but, when there’s a picture, they still have words… it’s like… a lot of pictures, words, symbols, lines, colors all put together to make it pop! This piece is just purple and black. It needs more variety and colors or something. Maybe the face needs to have some more colors introduce. Maybe there needs to be more layers. Maybe there should be words.

Hmmmm… I mean. I’m not saying it’s bad if that’s how it seems I’m coming off. It has a style I’m not all too up and personal with which doesn’t really give me much of a right to start ripping at it. It’s just, after the owl piece it seems so weak. Your owl piece is so exciting and fascinating! Your owl piece looks so professional and has a personal voice! Then you have the one colored purple piece. Maybe if you had a series of different face in different colors that had gradients of one color then I’d work out perfectly. But, after the owl, it’s a hard act to follow.

Cara Glabau said...

I really like the owl piece! It has a really fluid movement and holds a solid ground even though it is a cutout. I also see what Karen means when it has a Native American vibe to it, but doesn't connect to the concentration. What I first thought though was how in Native American cultures wasn't there like the belief of shape-shifting and stuff? In a way that can relate to deformation, and the look of the piece just seems like it fits into that field. It's a stretch but that was how I first saw it!
With the purple face, I think it's very balanced. The line variation plays up the contrast and shifts the focus around the face. I like how it's simple and just the face, I think it drives the point of your concentration without any unnecessary distractions. I also really like the placement on the canvas, how you let it stray from the borders.
Overall I think they're both really strong and composed!

Cecci said...

I agree with the others, i don't see much of a wholeness in the concentration right now BUT that's ok because your still working on developing it it feel like so im not gonna talk about that. Technically i feel like these pieces are very strong, i love how the owl is in the shape of an owl that makes it just that much more interesting, how you just completely eliminated the background but still managed to make it look as if there is background and layers in the piece, its a very nice effect.
The face compositionally is nice to look at, and the contrast of the colors are powerful, but i feel like they are all the same thickness (this is hard to explain) in the jesse reno paintings i remember a few people having trouble with have different colors but still having the colors be the same shade; i feel like you could play with dirtying up some of the colors and making them more shady. you should also explore prints and see if you want to go that route if thats something that interests you. GREAT JOB! :)

Abby Cowden said...

i super like the first one. i really want it. i feel like a bunch of them should be on a building. you should do another one but from a different angle and see how it turns out if you have tin. i like that you used shapes inside the shape of the owl. its really nice that you added your stuff inside the owl. i remember talking with this girl from art 2 i think and she guessed right away who did it. you have your own style that everyone knows which is a good thing. i always love to see what you come up with next. the second one is cool but i really was not drawn into it. i wanted to see more. it needs more lines or more value to really make it more than just a shape.